Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The (Red) Pen is Mightier Than the Sword

Even though Tale 47 was probably one of the smallest tales that we've read, it is one of the tales that I relate to the most. I had such a hard time not starting with grammar when I started grading papers, especially since I wanted (and still due) to get through the grading as fast as I could. Eventually I had to just put the pen away when I first read the papers. It's such an ingrained habit that I even correct the novels I read for leisure (not with pen, just in my head). I get so annoyed with myself when I start thinking about how a sentence could have been written better because it ruins the effect of the story when I start thinking about it too much. I think it's the same with students' writing. If I stop to correct every superficial mistake I won't be able to get the effect of the whole paper. Also, I think students also have an innate negative response to red ink. Instead I bought a pack of multicolored pens. Purple is less threatening than red, right?

P.S. My mom gave me this book when I started teaching. It's adorable.

3 comments:

  1. Purple is the color of royalty, I think, so I'd say it is better than red. I do the same thing, but with blue, because several students told me how they dread seeing red. I might try to grade with out a pen too, ah, but it would be so hard, yet you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like purple. I might try to find grammatical error patterns (If it's possible). However, if it simply turns out careless errors instead of mistakes, I will give poor grade to the assignment in that it is a kind of an attitude issue. For teacher's authority, I will firmly react for careless errors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to read this book, Sara. Looks cute.

    When I worked in the writing center, a few students brought their own red pens for me to use because it stands out better. Ha.

    Hongtaek, I'm the same way. If it's carelessness, I'm offended and tell students so. Don't insult my class. Take it seriously and take your time!

    ReplyDelete