Tuesday, September 23, 2014

To Vent or Not to Vent?

First of all, in response to Tale 17, about sending the email to the whole department - reply all is the worst! I've never sent anything controversial, but I always feel stupid when I have accidentally forwarded something to everyone. That said, the actual tale that I want to talk about is Tale 27. I feel like I can see both sides of it. I definitely don't want students to have to hear the negative things that instructors might say about the student population as a whole. Not only could that ruin their confidence in class, but it could also create tension between that student and her future instructors. On the other hand, I know that sometimes instructors just need to vent. It could just be that they are having a rough day and a problem with a student is the final breaking point. I've had days where I just need to get all of the negative stuff out, so I can let it go and move on. Unfortunately, the easiest place to vent or blow off steam with other instructors is at school, where there are likely to be students around to hear it. The best solution would be to just not say anything, but we're human and that's not going to happen. However, instructors could get together weekly outside of class, where there aren't likely to be any students, to vent. Not only could they blow off steam, but it could create a tighter bond between colleagues. If it just happens to be one of those days where you have to talk to someone then I would suggest using your office. Maybe not the best solutions, but it would keep instructors from unintentionally damaging a student's confidence.

4 comments:

  1. I face this problem A LOT. Not that I complain frequently, though I'm sure I do, but in the world of dance, we're around the same people- every day- all day. It's difficult to get away from anyone who won't feel negative about you venting to them, sometimes even about them, and it just so happens that everyone obviously knows each other SO word is going to get around eventually. It stinks. Anyway- I've found that having someone to vent to outside of my department is the most helpful. I make sure they know I'm about to vent, and they agree to just listen, and nobody in my area will be the wiser! It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, I tell you! Genius, I say! (As said by Yzma in Emperor's New Groove!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that this is where having a colleague as a friend comes in handy. When you have an individual who knows exactly what you're going through and has been in that position before, they are not only willing to hear you out but to give you seasoned advice on your specific situation. I definitely think that venting requires a "behind closed doors" conversation if it is something that is an ongoing issue, something you're having to document, or something you're afraid could snowball into a larger issue. If you've just had a bad day and want to vent in a general manner, I think going out for a coffee or tea off campus can help you get out of the school frame of mind and can allow you to see the forest through the trees. If you ever need to vent, seek me out! We can most certainly be venting buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the A couple years ago, we (TAs) were received an email from the department administration office. It is just warning about usage of classroom. One of my colleague replied 'I DID clean out after my class...' which is not really necessary to reply to all of the lists including the dean of the department. That issue became bigger than class room issue in the following TA meeting..... Be careful, when you reply a controversial email including cc, Bcc.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a matter of where and how you vent. Close the office door. Talk in general about a problem and ask for advice on solving it. Versus my pet peeve of posting sentences from students work on Facebook and mocking them.

    ReplyDelete